Thursday, July 28, 2011

A New Steampunk Gas Mask: Hosehead?

I found this rubber gas mask some time ago at a yard sale, and it is my inspiration and starting point for making a new leather and resin steampunk gas mask.

It is marked USN for United States Navy and I am guessing it is from World War II. Maybe someone out there can tell me.

It is distinguished from any other gas mask in my collection by the two rubber hoses running to a (missing) tank of breathable gases, and that is a feature I definitely want to keep on my mask.

My first challenge is determining how to make the rubber hoses. I looked into simply buying a comparative hose but wasn't having much luck finding it. Then I considered building it out of a small latex tubing covered in leather washers. They would have to alternate large and small to allow for the flexing required.

At this point I am thinking of molding the original (shown above removed from the mask) and reproducing it in black neoprene.

The natural curvature of the hose would make building a plaster mold challenging, and so I inserted a wooden dowel into the hose to straighten it out. Making a rigid mold will now not be so daunting.


I chose "Hosehead" as a working name for the piece (for obvious reasons), but I would like to hear from my reading audience any suggestions for a permant name.

9 comments:

  1. Very cool! It looks similar to a mask they used in the movie Sucker Punch.

    How about a name like Ragnorak? It's the name of the end of the world (Like the apocalypse), according to the Norse. Or making it simple and just calling it something like Gas Mask No. 76, or Interplanetary Explorer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ragnarök (that seems to be the way it's spelled)! I've never heard that word before. My first gas mask I call No. 43 (it was the 43rd leather mask I ever made), and I don't really want to repeat that theme. Interplanetary Explorer is a little to plain for my taste. Unless someone suggests an even cooler name I will go with Ragnarök. Thanks so much for recommending it.

    Best, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. your blog is great and very creepy, hahaha, you're a genius

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, really nice blog. I love your leather work and Steampunk inspired weirdness. Do you sell these items and can i list them on my Blog http://leather-shop-blog.biz/ i will probably add your link to my Blogroll either way.

    Thanks
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ron. I sell some of them at tombanwell.etsy.com. You are welcome to write about my stuff on your blog.

    Best, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a USN U Mk IV gas mask. Here's what it would have looked like in its prime: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=423026

    Careful w/ those hoses - I've read (but don't know for sure) that the canisters used asbestos as filters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @protectedstatic Thank you for the link. It's nice to see the gasmask in pristine condition.

    Best, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the corrugated hose, you might go to a scuba supply shop and ask to look at the corrugated inflator/dump hoses used on buoyancy control devices. There are a variety of styles for different manufacturers products, and in general they look like exactly what you need. Here's a link to an online supplier: http://northeastscubasupply.com/store/backplate-and-wings/wings/bc-parts/corrugated-hoses-elbows-quick-dumps/cat_202.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Matt Thanks for that info. I will probably build the hose myself from scratch, either neoprene or leather.

    Best, Tom

    ReplyDelete